Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lovely LibraryThing


Here's the Thing: I've been keeping a list of every book I read since 1989. Following a reader's advisory workshop where this was recommended, I adopted the practice because I'd read a book and like it. But often, a week later--sometimes just a day later--I couldn't remember the author or title. Because I have them in order within month/year, I'll occasionally go back and see what I was reading at some key point in my life. Or I'll look to see what year I first discovered a treasured author. The problem arises when I want to look back for the title of a book I can't remember and have no idea what year I read it. I flip through page after page of titles, hoping it will jump out at me. LibraryThing could change that. With careful, descriptive tagging, I could create a better library for myself.

1 comment:

Novella said...

Hey, I do the same thing! But only since 1996, the year I started working at CML. I love to look back through my book journal and it is like a diary. Your shelfari idea for nonfiction is a great idea, too.